Shaping the future together: new partnerships and technologies pave Volkswagen’s path to the future
● Mr. Matthias Müller: “We are empowering our Chinese organization to grasp the opportunities provided by a new era.”
● Prof. Dr. Jochem Heizmann: “We and our Chinese partners are reshaping future mobility to make daily car use even more convenient for customers.”
● Volkswagen Group is exploring Smart City partnership in China to improve urban transportation efficiency
● Sedric concept car redefines mobility at the touch of OneButton.
● Three world premieres underline commitment to continue exciting and satisfying customers in China.
Beijing/Shanghai, April 18, 2017. New partnerships, new technologies, new models: At its Group Media Night ahead of the 17th International Automobile Industry Exhibition in Shanghai (Auto Shanghai 2017), Volkswagen Group outlined its strategy for China and provided an outlook to the future of mobility. As a building block of further development, Volkswagen Group China announced it is exploring multi-party cooperation for a Smart City partnership, together with Tongji University Shanghai, as well as with fast-developing cities in the east and the Yangtze Delta Area. As an advanced part of the mobile ecosystem which will ensure livability and sustainability, Sedric, the company’s exciting concept of a self-driving car, had its Asia Premiere. Under the theme “Shaping the future together”, the company also featured world premieres of the Volkswagen I.D. CROZZ, Audi e-tron Sportback concept and ŠKODA VISION E concept, as well as the presentation of the new PHIDEON PHEV and C-TREK Boundless.
Volkswagen AG CEO Matthias Müller underlined China’s great importance to the entire Volkswagen Group.: “China is fast, dynamic and innovative and a global leader in e-mobility. We are empowering our Chinese organization and working with our partners to grasp the opportunities provided by a new era and build a sustainable mobility future for our millions of Chinese customers,” he said.
Prof. Dr. Jochem Heizmann, Member of the Board of Management of Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft as well as President and CEO of Volkswagen Group China, said: “More than 30 years ago, Volkswagen took pioneering steps to provide the best possible mobility for a fast- developing nation. Today, China is on the move again, and again we are offering together with our partners SAIC and FAW optimal solutions. And we are moving ahead also by creating new partnerships. Under TOGETHER – Strategy 2025, we and our partners, established and new, are reshaping future mobility to make daily car use even more convenient for Chinese customers and bring mobility to more people.”
Three world premieres headline exciting line-up of products
Volkswagen Group Media Night showcased a host of new products including three world premieres, underlining a commitment to continue exciting and satisfying its customers in China. Volkswagen Brand’s I.D. CROZZ is a concept car for an electric crossover utility vehicle with zero emissions, 500km range, powerful avant-garde design and a new interior concept. The Audi e-tron Sportback concept, a powerful design study and technology demonstrator in the guise of a coupé, has a 320kW electric drive, more than 800Nm of torque and a range of over 500km for everyday use. ŠKODA’s VISION E, the emotion-stirring five-door SUV coupé, can travel up to 500km on purely electric power and meets Level 3 requirements for autonomous driving.
SAIC VOLKSWAGEN introduced the PHIDEON PHEV, based on Volkswagen Brand’s flagship model, which can be charged in 2 hours, has a total range of 850km, and comprehensive fuel consumption of 2.3L/100km. FAW-Volkswagen unveiled the C-TREK Boundless, a personalized concept car which highlights the spirit of freedom and C-TREK aesthetics with a new color and appearance, interior updates and cutting edge elements. Overall, Volkswagen Group China and its partners will launch 30 new models in China in 2017, including a range of SUVs as part of its major offensive now underway in this segment.
Exploring Smart City cooperation to improve urban transportation efficiency
Volkswagen Group China is looking far beyond cars to a future world of smart cities where everything is connected and people move through life more easily. Together with Tongji University Shanghai and cities in east China, the company aims to pilot smart mobility solutions, contribute to urban planning, optimize public services and improve efficiency in urban transportation. Initially this will involve setting up a green and connected shared mobility fleet but the future offers possibilities for a fleet of autonomous driving cars.
Sedric – redefining mobility at the touch of a button
Besides autonomous driving, the Group’s vision is to re-invent the automobile in a completely innovative ecosystem. Sedric, the Group’s first self-driving car represents a part of this connected world. It is all-electric, 100 percent connected and fully autonomous. The vehicle has no steering wheel, pedals or cockpit. It’s a lounge on wheels. Interaction with the vehicle is controlled through a single button and voice commands. By activating the “OneButton” device, the car arrives to collect its occupants precisely at the time indicated in advance and then proceeds to its destination through the use of voice commands. It’s the aspiration of Volkswagen to make mobility accessible for everyone.
Artificial intelligence: the gateway to mobility to everyone
Volkswagen Group China is also continuing its determination to work with local partners to lead the new era of digitalization and sustainable mobility solutions. It has just announced a joint venture with groundbreaking Chinese developer of artificial intelligence and voice recognition technology Mobvoi Inc. Artificial intelligence (AI) is poised to transform the way businesses operate by automating all manner of tasks in every field, making life simpler and easier and providing a gateway to mobility for everyone. The new joint venture will develop and apply AI technologies to the automotive industry, with the potential to be adopted globally. This new JV follows cooperation plans with Shouqi in car-sharing, DiDi in ride-hailing, JAC in e- mobility and its long-standing joint venture partners in the fast-growing pre-owned car market.
At the Group Night, Bentley unveiled its EXP 12 Speed 6e concept, which brings the luxury experience to EV sector by combining renowned Bentley performance with new technology such as rapid inductive charging and concierge-style services. Lamborghini’s Aventador S makes its Asia premiere and sets a benchmark for the iconic V12 model with new aerodynamics design, redeveloped suspension, increased power and new driving dynamics. Porsche displayed the perfect combination of everyday usability and maximum flexibility of its Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo with a large tailgate, low loading edge, increased luggage compartment volume and a 4+1 seating concept. The Ducati 959 Panigale, a breathtaking Italian sport design, is fitted with a powerful 157Hp engine and poised between road and track, and balances performance, technology and effortless handling.
Auto Shanghai 2017
- MatthiasMüller,CEOofVolkswagenGroup,underscoredtheimportance of China at Volkswagen Group Night. MatthiasMüller,CEOofVolkswagenGroup,underscoredtheimportance ...
- BernhardMaier,ChairmanoftheBoardofManagementofŠKODAAUTO, introduced the world premiere of the VISION E concept. BernhardMaier,ChairmanoftheBoardofManagementofŠKODAAUTO, ...
- Audi CEO Rupert Stadler presents the e-tron Sportback concept at the Volkswagen Group Night before the Shanghai Auto Show. The production version is expected to be available in 2019. Audi CEO Rupert Stadler presents the e-tron ...
- Dr.HerbertDiess,ChairmanoftheBoard,VolkswagenBrand,unveiledthe I.D. CROZZ. Dr.HerbertDiess,ChairmanoftheBoard,VolkswagenBrand,unveiledthe ...
- Prof. Dr. Jochem Heizmann, Member of the Board of Management of Volkswagen Group as well as President and CEO of Volkswagen Group China, outlined how Volkswagen and its partners in China were reshaping the future together. Prof. Dr. Jochem Heizmann, Member of the Board of ...
- Chen Xianzhang, Member of the Board and President of SAIC VOLKSWAGEN AUTOMOTIVE CO., LTD. introduced the PHIDEON PHEV. Chen Xianzhang, Member of the Board and President of ...